5 Best Color Lights for Reading at Night- Buyer’s Guide & Reviews
Do you immerse yourself in books before going to sleep for decompressing after a long day? Are you a dedicated student who is trying to work hard and bring good grades by studying long hours at night? Or a novel enthusiast who tries to read pure fictional content for an extended period of time at night but the absence of proper lighting doesn’t allow you to do so? If yes, then you have come to the right page as we are here to explain the best color light for reading at night.
Light temperature/color plays an important role when it comes to reading.
Generally, people think that if they can find the right light bulbs without looking at their properties and suitability for reading, the problem is solved. But usually, this is not the right way to think. The color of the light is also one of the most important factors in picking the right light for reading at night.
With a beginner’s perspective in mind, I am going to give you a solid review of the best color temperature lights for reading at night, so identifying the right light becomes fairly easy.
|Lamp Name||Dimmable||Adjustable CCT||Price|
|Mijia MTJD02YL Eye-Care LED||Yes||Yes||Click Here for Price|
|Folding LED Desk Lamp with Qi Wireless Charger||Yes||Yes||Click Here for Price|
|Yeelight USB Rechargeable Folding Table Lamp||Yes||Yes||Click Here for Price|
|Yeelight YLTD03YL Smart Adjustable Desk Lamp||Yes||Yes||Click Here for Price|
1) Mijia MTJD02YL Eye-Care LED Desk Lamp
The Mijia MTJD02YL is the best color light for reading at night on our list. To foster a great reading environment at night, the Mijia LED desk lamp comes with an option that allows you to easily adjust the color temperature at night. But almost all lamps meant for reading come with this feature these days, right? I can’t agree more with you on this statement.
But, another important factor that not all brands take into account while making a lamp is the eye-protection of the users. This can seriously be offered by reducing the blue light that gets emitted from the bulbs. The Mijia brand is quite successful when it comes to reducing the blue-light effects of the lamps. This is because lamps of this brand, like this one, come with a brilliant anti-blue light technology that serves to protect the eyesight of the readers, especially at night.
Flexibility is another crucial aspect that has a direct influence on the posture of the users. You can adjust the light angle of this Mijia LED lamp with the help of its triaxial design, which allows easier movements and better control options.
You can even adjust the light settings through your smartphones after downloading its own app. The whole concept of hands-free lighting takes on another level with mobile control option.
1) Eye-protected, high display index, high brightness lamp beads with anti-blue light technology. Convenient, simple design with high sensitive rotatable switch.
2) Wireless connectivity with WiFi IEEE 802.11 b / g / n 2.4GHz / Bluetooth 4.2 and 10 Deg.C-40Deg.C working temperature.
3) Supports Xiao Ai and Siri’s voice controls methods.
4) Easy to use with adjustable brightness levels.
2) Folding LED Desk Lamp with Qi Wireless Charger
WD102 Folding LED Desk Lamp is another great light for studying at night. This light is flicker-free and reduces the eye-strain that mostly results due to poor lighting. Talking about eye-strain, it is not just the insufficiency of light that results in the eye-strain among different users, it has also got to do with the limited flexibility that some lamps offer.
This folding LED desk lamp has an adjustable head along with an adjustable neck, that both help a reader achieve those lighting angles that are impossible to achieve with a lamp that has none of these options available for better lighting angles.
Four different light color temperatures to choose from along with adjustable brightness of this lamp is sometimes all that you need to read at night. You can expect this lamp to illuminate all of the areas of your desk that you believe are necessary to get your positive moods flowing and your focus in the right direction.
Long lifespan of 50,000 hours means that very little maintenance is going to be required along your journey with this WD102 folding LED desk lamp.
1) Folding design with smooth texture touch feeling lamp for the desk.
2) With six touch buttons, the portable lamp has the smart technology of Qi wireless charging facilities for Qi-enabled smart devices.
3) Pleasant reading and writing environment with four different color temperatures and brightness.
4) The bottom of the lamp has foam for friction and preventing the whole lamp body from shock.
5) Wireless charging efficiency is 75pct and more.
6) With slim, lightweight property the lamp is made of ABC and PC, and the luminous is 300lm +/ – 10pct.
3) Yeelight USB Rechargeable Folding Table Lamp- Excellent Light for Study Room
The Yeelight YLD14YL USB rechargeable table lamp is perfect for readers of all age groups. The auto-sensing capability is ideal for different lighting intensities. Readers love to read under natural light but at night time, this type of light isn’t available. However, you can still work under the artificial light of this lamp which appears just like the natural daylight of the sun.
While some lamps provide a maximum of 4 light temperature levels, this lamp goes even beyond that and provides an option of 5 different color levels, all of which can be changed easily via a button. This is all done to give users more control over the type of visual environment that they would like to have in their work area, either be it a study table or a bedside desk.
The higher the value of the color rendering index, the easier will it be to reveal the true colors of the objects you are working on under the influence of this lamp. Although reading is more related to a narrow range of colors like black and white, higher CRI is still going to be useful because it will improve the quality of light that is illuminating your books(and e-books!).
This is the reason why a lamp like the Yeelight suits everyone, not only due to its wide variety of brightness and color temperature levels but also due to the quality of light that doesn’t devalue over time no matter how much you alter its settings.
1) Huge battery capacity(2500mAh) with long durability(up to 40 hours) for low brightness.
2) Perfect for focus and brightness up to 200 lumens. At decreasing power, the brightness doesn’t get affected.
3) Reducing blue light technology protects the eyes from disturbances. For a different view light automatically sets its brightness and automatically gets power off at 48 Deg.C for safer charging.
4) For the lamp, the rendering of the color index is Ra90 with a color temperature of 2700-5000K.
4) Yeelight YLTD03YL Smart Adjustable Desk Lamp – White
This model of Yeelight adjustable reading lamps is a little different than the previously mentioned model here. The color rendering index of this lamp is greater than 95 as compared to the previous model.
I have often noticed this fact in people who are interested in buying lamps for reading at night that most of them are focusing more on the looks instead of their structural and technical features which either results in users disliking the lamp that they just ordered or they stop using that particular lamp when the lamp stops appearing as visually appealing to them after some time of use.
I have mentioned the buyer’s guide that will surely help in addition to these reviews that can help you in deciding which lamp suits the reading purpose according to you the best.
Coming back to the features of this lamp, it can also be controlled through the smartphone app. This lamp has a round-shaped head for an even spread of light across the surface and its modernistic design is also one thing to note along with many others that help the readers.
Thus, this lamp is one of those lights that won’t disturb your partner. You can freely do your own work at night and others present in your room will be just fine.
1) The light is adjustable for any height due to its multi-axis design.
2) For light, Ra is greater than 95 to render better color. The input power for this light is 12W and the input voltage is 100-240V.
3) Large range of illumination with the national AA illuminance. With Mijia App and Yeelight support for intelligent control.
If you ask me what factors do I look for in a reading lamp before suggesting it to others, there are not many, rather just a few. The most important of which are the no.1 color temperatures that these lights are going to emit and no.2 adjustability of these color temperatures. But, for your convenience, I have mentioned 3 additional factors that are going to prove out to be useful in your daily reading experience.
1. Correlated Color Temperature: To choose the best color light for reading at night, the first and foremost thing that you need to consider is the correlated color temperature (CCT). Simply put, it is a measure of how warm or how cold the emitted light of the lamp is going to appear.
As much as I emphasize on the color temperature of lamps being close to the natural daylight, which is warm of course- these days lamps come with adjustable color temperatures as discussed below that leave you with plenty of options to decide which temperature is going to suit you the best, thus, removing the need to worry about color temperatures of these lamps at all.
But still, if you want a general sense of the best color temperature for reading that you should opt for before choosing a lamp, I would definitely recommend going for the 5000-6000K range, as its correspondence with the natural light of the sun allows the best user experience especially while reading at night.
2. Adjustability of Light Colors: As mentioned earlier that lamps these days allow users to change their light color temperatures, there is not much left to think about regarding the color temperatures before buying these lamps for reading at night. Adjusting the color temperatures can be done via a button and in some cases, via an app. This whole concept allows you to seamlessly swift through different color temperatures until you find one that suits you.
3. Color Rendition: When it comes to reading, color rendering plays an important role but not as much as the above-mentioned factors do. This is because color rendition is simply a measure of the ability of a light source to truly reveal the colors that its light falls on. Now, in most of the cases, the text that we are reading is of black color on the pages of the hard copies, and mostly white when it comes to reading e-books. So it doesn’t matter much.
But still, if you are interested in knowing the ideal value: The ideal value of the color rendering index should be greater than 80. The lamps that I have mentioned on this page have an average CRI of 90. You can use the table present at the top of this page to know the CRI of the individual lamp.
4. Brightness: You will want to choose the lamp that offers at least a lumen count of 200. Taking into account the different scenarios, the ideal reading environment consists of the user, her book, and the lamp, all of these things positioned toward the right angles to prevent the lumens of light from falling on unwanted areas.
The presence of different objects other than the ones that you are concerned with obstructs the efficient supply of light, because now the light won’t have the majority of its lumens falling in the right place. So, having a lumen count of greater than 200, along with a flexible neck or arm of the lamp, helps.
5. App Control: You can easily control different settings such as the light intensity and the color temperature of the light through the lamp’s own app. App support opens a different way of operating lamps other than the traditional methods which are also convenient, but not as time-saving as the lamps which come with their own applications to play with are.
The comfort of reading depends on the color temperature of the light under which you will be reading. You might have noted this while reading big chunks of text instead of a few lines. Sometimes, even sitting in the perfect positions on your seats can not be that helpful if the color of the light being emitted out of the bulb is not right.
People can read under any color temperature of light. Looking at the text and reading in between the lines is not a difficult task, but people make it. Coming towards the debate of warm light vs cool light for reading, the daylight colors of the 5000-6000K range are generally ideal for reading at night because these colors unlike the cooler and softer light colors of usually 2700K all the way up to 3500K are best suited for night time.
There should be a proper lighting for doing stuff like reading because we have to take eye-care into account as well. As far as eye damage from bright light is concerned, you just need to remember that it is usually the blue light that does most of the harm. Of course staring directly at the lamp when you have maximized the brightness is going to have its effects, but you can overcome this by not staring for too long.
So, hope you have made up your mind by now regarding which lamp to choose from among the 5 I have mentioned above. These lamps were picked on the basis of their color rendering index (CRI), correlated color temperature (CCT), light intensity, and their overall shape and flexibility.
If you think that there is something that is missing from the buyer’s guide that can be crucial to consider before selecting the right lamp, you can always suggest me using the contact option.